"Des waerelds doen en doolen, is maar een mallemoolen,"

"Des waerelds doen en doolen, is maar een mallemoolen," engraving from Het Groote Tafereel der Dwaasheid, 1720.

"The actions and designs of the world go round as if in a mill." South Sea bubble financial crisis.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Bankers have feelings too, you know

From the FT
"We need to stop authorities around the world throwing sticks and stones at us. We should be past that now" said one banker in Davos. 
As fear about inflation is mounting, some feel it is time now for governments and banks to make peace. But as the financial industry is complaining about regulation and low interests rates, it feels we are still in the "waaaaah Street" narrative Max Abelson described, where the issue is not entirely about policy, but about insults and emotions. Finance, after all, seem to care about the public's opinion (still from Abelson's piece): 
"We've been ostracized," another source said. "I went to jury duty about a year ago, and when I said I'm in investment banking, the people in the jury room were making ugh sounds, and I'm like, fuck you. I'm proud of what I do. And I think this firm did a lot to get the recovery going. Somewhere ranked below a pimp and well operator is not right."

No comments:

Post a Comment